Monday, December 2, 2013

"Don't Mess Up"

Ever since catechetics classes in college (CCC - pun totally intended), I've been intrigued by the idea of "the question behind the question." For instance, when someone asks, "Why can't women become priests?" they may actually be asking, "Why does the Catholic Church think I have less brains then men?" When you hear "Why won't the Church allow same-sex marriage?" the real question might be, "Why would you think God hates my best friend/brother/mom?" Etc., etc., etc. It's always a good idea to not just pay attention to the words you hear, but think about what might be motivating those words. Don't just address the question at face value; go deeper, and address the heart of the matter at hand. #goodpastoralprinciples #catecheticsforthewin

I've recently been thinking about this idea of a deeper meaning behind our words. I work in a church office, which is... uh... interesting! Amazing, fantastic, a blessing... but I will be the first to say, we are quite normal, with our own personal sins and flaws. One of those awful realities that we fall into in the Church, as sinners, is *drumroll for the awfulness*... gossip.

"Why didn't so-and-so understand that she had to ___ (jump through x, y, and z hoop)? Now she ____ (sin worthy of the Antichrist)!"

"So-and-so forgot to ____ (task so dumb that a dog could do it)! I asked her if she knew what she was doing, and she said she did, so I just believed her... then we all had to cover for her!"

"I can't believe they were late with their paperwork AGAIN! No one ever looks at the deadlines, no matter how many times I remind them."

Believe me, I'm guilty of this sort of complaining myself. But I've been thinking recently... what do these complaining, gossipy statements actually saying? What's the message behind the message?

"If you mess up, everyone will hear about it and complain about you behind your back. So don't mess up."

"If you're not perfect, we don't want to deal with you."

"My deadline is the most important thing in your life... why can't you see that?"

I'm not advocating that we encourage bad habits and irresponsibility, or that we can't stick to the rules when need be, or that we have to become human doormats. That's swinging over to the other extreme. But in a Church based on the mercy and redemption coming from Jesus Christ, what are we actually communicating to others? On a basic human level, if we're afraid of the judgment of our brothers and sisters in Christ, how much trust can we really have in each other? How much of a real relationship is actually possible? Do we have each others' backs, or do we lash out behind their backs?

I'll be honest... I started coming to this conclusion in the moments when I'm the one who messed up. I realize the value of being gracious to people, mostly because I'm in need of grace. And it's gone both ways for me... the vast majority of the time, I'm given way more generosity and leniency than I deserve. On the other hand, there are those times I've heard whispers in the halls (and loud declarations, as well!), and it makes me more conscious of my own speech. Would I always be okay with people overhearing my conversations? Do I really need to emphasize another person's mistake, so that everyone realizes that "they" did it, and that I'm perfectly innocent, responsible, and that I have my act together? (Because let's just get real... anyone who's been in my office and seen my desk knows that I don't have it all together!) Would it really be that hard to move on without making that snide comment, rolling my eyes, or otherwise drawing attention to another person's flaws? What if I spread grace, joy and peace wherever I went, instead? I'm guessing that's what Our Lady did!

I've seen people get disheartened over the fact that the Church is made up of sinners, and I'm not trying to do that here. Instead, I just want to encourage you all that when it comes to fallen humanity, there is hope (hey-o, Advent)! Things don't have to be like they are. Christ came to redeem every part of us, including our relationships. Today, let's allow him to do that.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I love this concept of the question behind the question Katie! That's brilliant and so true!

    Yes, the church office is...how shall we say, interesting at times. I never thought it would be quite so "normal" before I started working in one. But, of course, I get angry and frustrated too so I probably contribute as much as I receive. But don't you wish it was different? But you're right, we're all sinners and that's why we're in the Church. I just wish he'd work a little faster on me and those around me so life would be more pleasant sometimes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, amen. I do wish it was different and that God worked faster in my heart! But he's using my faults to sanctify others, I think. ;)

      So I just now came across this quote in Evangelii Gaudium, and I think all of us who work in the church need to reflect on it: "Even people who can be considered dubious on account of their errors have something to offer which must not be overlooked." -Pope Francis, EG 236

      Even the people who we can't 100% trust or rely on still have something to offer! We can say objectively, someone isn't good for this particular job... but we can't dismiss them as a person! Oh snap, Francis.

      Delete