Friday, February 15, 2013

Lent!

Subtitle: the top 10 (or however many I come up with) reasons that I'm pretty darn excited for this Lent!

1) Because I get to reflect on crucified Love. 
You know, I was actually very glad that Valentine's Day was the day after Ash Wednesday! Cue the murmurs and whispers: is she just bitter because she doesn't have a boyfriend? Does she want to spoil everyone's fun? NO! It was beautiful to me, because I was able to better connect the concepts of both sacrifice and love in my mind and my heart. Just like in real life, they were literally side by side!

2) Communio!
This Lent, I feel called to spend more time in community. Living alone can sometimes be depressing, and it's tempting to retreat within myself even more at times... which has the effect of a downward spiral. You may have picked up on it lately, but the book I just finished reading on the Trinity has knocked some sense into me in this arena! So whether I'm putting myself more in touch with the Father, Son and Holy Spirit through prayer (the community par excellence!), or spending more time with people (in person, on the phone, through letters or emails, or even just working on gifts or projects that are not for myself), I'm going outside myself this Lent.

3) Spiritual hunger >>>> physical hunger
Youth culture lesson time! So, the "kids these days" are all using greater than (>) and less than (<) signs in their Facebook statuses and tweets, in massive quantities. As an example, I got mentioned in a tweet the other day that said (and I quote):

"@katieschuerger 's tweets>>>>"

When I asked her what it meant, she explained that they were a bunch of "greater than" signs. While I was super flattered, I was super confused. Greater than... what? Apparently, as I found, you don't have to actually be comparing two things. So, while the mathematical equation says that my tweets are greater than uh, nothing... she actually meant that she really likes them. Dude, I think I'm getting old...

That was a super long, unnecessary preface (but you learned something! Well, maybe). All I wanted to say is this: the fasting and sacrificing of Lent points to a greater reality... spiritual hunger! When it's Ash Wednesday and my tummy is a little rumbly, it reminds me that there are more important things than physical food. When I'm bored, I don't need to go to the refrigerator - I need to go to prayer!

4. It's an opportunity that I know I will force myself to take!
Let's be honest - I have lots of good intentions that pop up all year long, and then fade away in a day or two. But Lent is a more "official" time to work on these things. In other words, there's a much better chance of me actually following through during these 40 days than any of the other 325 days of the year! And maybe - just maybe - it will help me form the discipline to follow through a little more during those other days.


Okay, so I only got to number four. But hey, I'm still pretty excited! How about you... are you pumped for the growing pains of Lent? Why or why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment