Thursday, December 13, 2012

Sleep Well

I'm currently listening to a beautiful talk by Fr. Thomas Richter entitled "Trust in the Lord." I'm only about halfway through, but I wanted to share (paraphrasing) a brief story that he told:

There once was a little four year old who couldn't sleep. He was so weighed down by the world - he wondered, how would I pay the bills? How would I pay the mortgage? How would I earn enough money to be able to eat - to provide for my family? The four year old tossed and turned, tossed and turned, and had only restless, uneasy sleep all night.

The next day, on the monkey bars at school, some of his friends noticed that he wasn't acting like himself. They asked him, "Johnny, what's the matter? You look kind of tired and worn out." He replied, "I couldn't sleep last night. I was worrying about how I would pay the mortgage... how I would provide for myself and for my family... how I would pay all the bills..." 

His friends looked at him, confused. One of them said, "Johnny, I don't worry about all that stuff. My daddy takes care of it for me."

Just as it is ridiculous for a four year old to worry about the mortgage, it is absurd for us to think that we are all alone in our struggles. We don't become more independent as we become holier, says Fr. Richter; we become more dependent, more childlike and trusting on our heavenly Father.

"If you had a magic wand, what would you get rid of in your life? That right there is the holiest place in your life - potentially - if you learn how to trust in the Lord, and let Him do what you can't." -Fr. Thomas Richter

We don't have to worry quite so much... our Daddy is taking care of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment