Thursday, December 13, 2012

Everyday Deliberations

Just scattered thoughts today... some of which are relevant, some of which probably aren't:

First off, you really need to watch "Minor Revisions" this evening. Tonight is the first of three parts in this reality show following Jennifer Fulwiler, the author of the "Conversion Diary" blog. I'll let Brandon Vogt do all the explaining about why it will be awesome: http://brandonvogt.com/revisions/. You can watch it at 8pm Eastern time tonight at http://netny.net/watch-now/ (How fabulously convenient for those of us who don't have TV!).

Secondly, I've been thinking about the implications of texting on communication. I know, not really unique. But it dawns on me that I probably would talk to people less if I did not have texting. It's a nifty little tool when you don't really have time for a phone call, you know? Anyway. Not a particularly innovative or profound thought, but there it is.

And then we have the practical considerations of life. Things like, should I start parking my car in the front of my house, where there is sunlight? I'm awfully tired of scraping the ice of the windshield, and it's only mid-December. But will the others in my building harbor a grudge against me, just like I have against the SUV that also parks in front and blocks my view and makes me afraid for my safety every time I pull out of the driveway? Hmm. Deliberations.

In other news, can anyone tell me why my wireless internet is constantly cutting in and out? And when I say "in and out," I definitely mean more "out" than "in." It's like my router has decided, "Katie, you get two minutes of internet, and then fifteen of no internet. I'm sorry my dear, we're rationing. Offer it up for the troops! Join the war effort!" Just when I finally stopped being lazy and got around to ordering a new, not-broken charger cord for my laptop... maybe my network forgets what it's like to actually have a computer using it?

I have also resolved that if I one day would like to be married (either to a solely human man, or to Jesus), I need to change some habits, such as how often I clean my house. My smaller goal within this goal is to keep my sink relatively clean. Load the dishes into the dishwasher as I go, instead of letting them stack up in the sink until I run out of spoons. I also need to start mopping my kitchen floor more often - I did it a couple of days ago, and I like my apartment so much better like this! Not that I think marriage depends on clean spoons and kitchen floors, but it's the principle of the matter. Discipline! Good habits! Whip that free will into shape! Wha-bam! If I can't take care of myself and my place when I'm single, how will I ever do it when I'm more busy?? Shudder.

Unfortunately, related to my housecleaning goals, I have recently come to terms with the fact that I work best (or well, at least) under pressure. I've known for quite some time that I'm a procrastinator. Yet, I kept telling myself that I wish I had more time, so that I could try to get things done in advance. I am now just starting to admit that even when I have the time, I don't have the motivation. Extra time, for me, = yay! More extra things that I can do that aren't required! And more time for FUN! I have come to grips with the understanding that when my college work was done during an all-nighter simultaneously with 4 other papers/projects, all at the same time, it was mucho better than when I had plenty of time and only one assignment to get done. (I also did better in Honors class when I didn't do the readings, but that is another story for another time.)

This realization makes me feel like an irresponsible person... so I think I'm going to go back to my office and make myself feel productive now. Besides, I'm in the tiny window where my wireless is working... better publish this thing fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment