Monday, August 19, 2013

Risk. Change. Conflict. Ouch.

Ran across this article about leadership and change today! I think y'all should read it, whether or not you're in a leadership position. If you are, it will probably ring true to your experience and give you some good advice; and if you're not, it might help you understand your leaders a bit better, and so be a more constructive member of a team/company/etc. (believe me, if you can work well with others, you are high up on my list of favorite people!!).

This point, in particular, really stuck out to me:

"3. Leaders crave change more than most people do because they're, well, leaders. Your passion level is always going to be naturally and appropriately higher than most people's when it comes to change. Just know that's how you're wired and don't get discouraged too quickly if your passion for change is higher than others. You're the leader."

That really resonates with me, so it kinda made me feel better about the countless hours I spend thinking about changes that most people don't really care about... yeah. ;)

On the other hand, I had a moment this morning where I was on the receiving end of a potential change. For a minute, it knocked the wind out of me. Nothing entirely unexpected, but still, it's frustrating. It  messes with my plans and the way that I had decided on doing things... ouch. And actually more disconcerting to me, I know for a fact that I'm going to get stuck hearing everybody and their mother's opinions on the matter! Not a fun way to start Monday morning...

But as I pondered the whole situation more, I started thinking creatively and more positively about the change. In the span of a half an hour, I went from holding back tears to strategizing! How can we best empathize with people and do damage control, while still remaining positive and moving forward? How can we make this something that unites, instead of divides? And most importantly... Jesus, how can we become more holy through this? How can we use this as a teachable moment for more prayer, humility and dying to self? Please, help me put myself aside! (I tell y'all this not to be like, "oh look at me, I'm gonna play this off all cool despite how I feel," but just to say that grace really is present in the difficult situations you find yourself in.)

So I think that's my new rule: Katie, you have 30 minutes to be upset! Then, you need to get over yourself and be constructive.

In fact, that might not be a bad plan for leadership roles that I find myself in. (I'm thinking out loud here...) Let everyone in the affected group know what's going on, empathize with them, etc. But be very upfront about the fact that, after a little time to be upset, we have to put ourselves aside and work for the sake of something bigger than ourselves. There will be no room for complaining, gossiping or playing the blame game. (Bam!)

Leading in a way that fosters holiness... yikes. I think I'm going to be learning until the day I die.
3.It  Leaders crave change more than most people do because they’re, well, leaders. Your passion level is always going to be naturally and appropriately higher than most people’s when it comes to change. Just know that’s how you’re wired and don’t get discouraged too quickly if your passion for change is higher than others. You’re the leader. - See more at: http://careynieuwhof.com/2013/07/cheat-sheet-13-facts-about-change-many-leaders-dont-realize/#sthash.AegiecLP.dpuf
3. Leaders crave change more than most people do because they’re, well, leaders. Your passion level is always going to be naturally and appropriately higher than most people’s when it comes to change. Just know that’s how you’re wired and don’t get discouraged too quickly if your passion for change is higher than others. You’re the leader. - See more at: http://careynieuwhof.com/2013/07/cheat-sheet-13-facts-about-change-many-leaders-dont-realize/#sthash.AegiecLP.dpuf

2 comments: